In January 1948 Brecon Town Council recommended to proceed with a scheme for the provision of a bowling green at Mill Green, the Promenade. The cost would be £3150.
Work started on it in October 1948 and the green was opened on 13th of May 1950.
In early 1950 a public meeting was held in the Guild Hall and it was decided to form a bowling club which was to be known as “Brecon Bowling Club. At the start there was no pavilion and the equipment was stored in a shed. Later in the season a temporary pavilion was erected.
The first match that Brecon played was against Builth and was won by a small margin.
The first fixture list was as follows :- Mid-Wales Constabulary, Builth, Talgarth, Treharris, Hirwaun, Abergavenny, Ystradgynlais, Ystrad Mynach, Dowlais, Hay-on-Wye, Llandeilo, Llandrindod, Brynmawr, Merthyr Tydfil.
In 1951 the Club decided to apply for membership of Mid Wales Bowling Association and was accepted. On July 15th the first County game was played against Pembrokeshire which Mid Wales won 125 to 109. Afterwards tea was taken in the Café Royal.
The Club continued to grow, members presented trophies for various competitions which was played for annually. Brecon had many successes at MWBA and WBA. In 1964 Brecon won the WBA rinks and proceeded to the British Isles Championship where they lost in the semi-final. Tours were organised and the Club was now on a sound financial footing.
The club continued to grow and over the years success was achieved at many levels in Mid-Wales and Welsh competitions.
In 1994, after much discussion, the club signed a 25 year lease for the Mill Green complex.
In 2013, the club was awarded the Welsh Club Bowls Federation Gold Standard Clubmark. Brecon and Llandrindod were the only clubs in Mid-Wales to Achieve this.
In 2015, the club took over ownership of the club from Powys County Council under a Community Asset Transfer for the token sum of £10.